Page 179 of 184 FirstFirst ... 79129169175176177178179180181182183 ... LastLast
Results 1,781 to 1,790 of 1835

Thread: In my backyard/ Local Wildlife

Default Re: In my backyard/ Local Wildlife

We have a strong and justified idea that possums have been dumped at the ‘greenies’ place because they are “animal lovers”. Wrong on so many levers but rectifying those thoughts is nearly impossible with some folk around these here parts.

The positives of having possums are that the rats have disappeared, maybe in fear of being eaten. Therefore we have more veggies that make it to our plates. The negatives are they are in the ceiling space and they are quite destructive.

Anyhow, this mother Common Brushtail Possum (Jill) and her child (Joey) are very cute. Scientific name is (Trichosurus vulpecula) .

Just to clear up the names in brackets, a female is a Jill, a Male is a Jack and the young are Joeys. A crowd of them is known as a passel.

David
    Possum - Mother & Child Cropped.jpg

2. Thank button pipbarber, two dogs thanked this post

This very large male kangaroo somehow survives (so far) the travails of living in an ever decreasing and increasingly busy habitat. It’s a pleasure having him around.

David

4. Thank button two dogs thanked this post

Some interesting birds from the shit farm today.
    A brolga! Very awesome for me. Not that common in Victoria.

Striated Field-Wren

A female White-Fronted Chat.
    What’s the use of a fine house if you haven’t a tolerable planet to put it on - Henry David Thoreau

This is not really a backyard photo although it was “directly overhead…now” (Care of MASH) and there may be microbial life left there from human visits.

Got up before 5 AM this morning to view the Geminids meteor shower. Unfortunately there was a lot of moisture in the air as the photo shows by the blur around the moon.

Saw one meteor and a high flying jet. Even the lights on the jet were barely discernable.

Hope others had better success.

David
    Moon Atmospheric Moisture.jpg
    Last edited by The Phantom; 15th December 2019 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Mods could move this to science maybe

7. Like button stylofone liked this post
    Thank button pipbarber thanked this post

I was so annoyed with myself for forgetting little penguins in my question on the pub trivia thread i decided to walk to St.Kilda pier for the sunset and this photo.
    What’s the use of a fine house if you haven’t a tolerable planet to put it on - Henry David Thoreau

9. Thank button two dogs thanked this post

This is a Tawny frogmouth (Podargus strigoides), possibly a male as it is reported that males do the sitting in daylight hours. We pass the nest every day and generally there is a female sitting close by which we may or may not see. It is uncertain if there is another young in the nest as it is fairly hidden. The adults have been here for as long as I can remember which is quite incredible considering the dangers they face with speeding cars and trucks and agricultural poisons. They are also prone to cat attack because of their habit of pouncing on prey on the ground from a low height. Amazing creatures.

David
    Tawny Frogmouth and young.jpg

11. Thank button pipbarber, two dogs thanked this post

This beautiful bird (aren’t they all) is a White-winged Triller (Lalage sueurii). They are very common to most of Australia. This is our second sighting in a couple of days over many years and it allowed me time to grab the camera. She/he arrived a few days ago and took us by surprise and it was thought never to be seen again. Wonderful that turned out to be wrong.

David
    White-winged Triller.jpg

13. Thank button pipbarber, two dogs thanked this post

I've never seen one before, so even if they are 'common', keep posting them!
    “It's not my responsibility to be beautiful. I'm not alive for that purpose. My existence is not about how desirable you find me.” Warsan shire

"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence" Charles Bukowski

15. Like button two dogs, The Phantom liked this post
    Agree button two dogs agreed with this post

Here’s a male kangaroo and he is hot which is obvious. Along come a possum but not real sure a drink is necessary until the kangaroo leaves.

David

17. Like button two dogs liked this post
    Thank button pipbarber, two dogs thanked this post
    Laugh button pipbarber laughed at this post
    Mt Backabuggari Pepper Research Institute

Grown-up magpie didn't think anyone was watching.

Was frolicking like a kid!

_DOWNHILL_m20191221145247.jpg

_DOWNHILL_m20191221145249.jpg

_DOWNHILL_m20191221145251.jpg
    Last edited by The Irreverent Mr Black; 21st December 2019 at 07:28 PM. Reason: oops! wait a minute

19. Thank button two dogs thanked this post