A call to action
    From your chair
    Is empty while
    You're sitting there.
    - Bummer Shave

Mt Backabuggari Pepper Research Institute

Default Re: In my backyard/ Local Wildlife

2020-01-14-IMG_9594z-bbirds-arrow+swoopy.jpg
    Young butcherbird Arrow, up the loquat tree with mum Swoopy.

2020-01-14-IMG_9595z-bbirds-arrow.jpg
    A minute later, Arrow is following me round the yard.

2020-01-14-IMG_9598z-bbirds-swoopy.jpg
    Swoopy in a rare moment of stillness.

A call to action
    From your chair
    Is empty while
    You're sitting there.
    - Bummer Shave

3. Thank button pipbarber, two dogs thanked this post

From a few days ago. Drove through a chaos of road construction and pre-morning peak traffic on one of Melbourne's biggest and ugliest freeways out of the city. Squashed between enormous semi-trailers breaking speed limits in filthy stinking air. Then finally getting to the Werribee wetlands to be greeted by these sleepy pied stilts. I parked and pulled out my camping chair and by the time this little flock had woken i felt perfectly calm and happy.

What the loss of natural spaces will do for our collective mental health is a terrifying thought.

What’s the use of a fine house if you haven’t a tolerable planet to put it on - Henry David Thoreau

I wandered out to Killalea State Park to see how the lagoon was going after the recent rains. Unfortunately, it remains bone dry.

While there, however, I got up close (-ish) with an echidna in the natural environment for the first time ever.

"If you could reason with religious people, there would be no religious people." - "House"

Quote northodox said View Post
    I wandered out to Killalea State Park to see how the lagoon was going after the recent rains. Unfortunately, it remains bone dry.

While there, however, I got up close (-ish) with an echidna in the natural environment for the first time ever.

An absolutely wonderful photo. You were very lucky. An Echidna wandered into a local town and the people knowing we rescue animals brought it to our place. We had never seen one up close either. Placed it in a remote spot on sand and it immediately did a swirling motion with its feet and disappeared before our eyes. If you looked away and then looked back it would be near impossible to know where it was. Remarkable.
    New Phantom Saying: "Living a vegan lifestyle in the jungle is difficult ... but not impossible"

7. Like button two dogs, pipbarber liked this post
    Thank button two dogs thanked this post

Another Echidna we ran into on our beach walk.

Port Sorrell Tasmania.

Spearthrower: "There are words like vacuous & cunt that are applicable."

(delta p)*(delta q) >= h/(4*pi) ----- An explanation of Logical Fallacies : http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies ----- ferox deo vacuus vinco ----- How do I post video etc here?

When I had my own encounter near a dirt road, I hoped the little blighter would stay clear of the road as much as possible, for when I got close enough, it didn't run away, it curled up into a ball. That won't save it from getting run over. I drive extra slow in that area now.
    “It's not my responsibility to be beautiful. I'm not alive for that purpose. My existence is not about how desirable you find me.” Warsan shire

"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence" Charles Bukowski

10. Like button pipbarber, two dogs, The Phantom, davo liked this post
    Thank button two dogs, davo thanked this post

Quote knowledge is power said View Post
    When I had my own encounter near a dirt road, I hoped the little blighter would stay clear of the road as much as possible, for when I got close enough, it didn't run away, it curled up into a ball. That won't save it from getting run over. I drive extra slow in that area now.
    Yes, Kip, they are very vulnerable to being run over. You can always tell when it is on purpose; done by someone without any wildlife knowledge, because their dead bodies are left on the road in the position they have been skittled. A sense of remorse for a mistake would have most people move the body to the side of the road.

Such a large animal has to be felt when run over. There is a dismal attitude in some folk that the blob they are looking at down the road is a cat, dog, hare or something that is need of killing. Even if that is right, running over defenseless animals with a tonne of vehicle shows a very grim attitude to other lives.

We have seen such ‘mistakes’ made in our area. The same occurs with the ophidiophobia crowd and we lose so many local goannas because of that ignorance.

Running over snakes is bad but not knowing the creature could be something else is just plain dumb. Of course, running over snakes is really about "protecting the children". Yeah, right.
    New Phantom Saying: "Living a vegan lifestyle in the jungle is difficult ... but not impossible"