Page 1 of 183 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: In my backyard/ Local Wildlife

Default In my backyard/ Local Wildlife

It's not the best quality and it's a bit wobbly, but this is what I have in my backyard. They come and visit me when I'm hanging out the washing. I love where I live

Last edited by The Irreverent Mr Black; 12th December 2010 at 04:26 PM. Reason: title change for indexing
    I've never been very good at knowing "my place". Well actually I have, it's just never been where you want it to be.

Default Re: In my backyard

The only wildlife I have in my backyard aside from the obligatory ants and spiders are wasps, which I would love to get rid of.
    I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death - George Carlin (R.I.P.)

3. Like button gray-owl liked this post
    Thank button gray-owl thanked this post

Quote Praxis said View Post
    It's not the best quality and it's a bit wobbly, but this is what I have in my backyard. They come and visit me when I'm hanging out the washing. I love where I live
    You lucky, lucky bastard!
    Do not do to others what you do not want done to yourself.
    - Confucius (551-479 BCE)

wonderful!
    Rich in the simple worship of the day. (Keats)

If you had any fruit trees, you'd know that the reason they're called king parrots it that the first syllable is silent: f'king parrots.
    Stretch a mind and it never returns to its original shape.

The Nacirema Tribe: located just south of Sanity

I have wild rabbits in my garden.
    They seem to fend for themselves just fine, even during the winter.
    There are also some virginia opossums too, but I've only seen them at night.

I haven't photos to show, but in our back yard we have regular tribes of magpies (about 15 altogether), also kings, eastern rosellas, topknot pigeons, cockys, currawongs, gang-gangs (up to 9 or 10), crimsons and occasionally a kookaburra. Not all at once due to territory wars, of course.

Also a resident blue tongue whom we don't see often and a cranky possum which swings off the pergola sometimes....

And I have two cats, who look at them and say: Yeah, so what?

nari

9. Thank button gray-owl thanked this post

That's awesome Praxis... my parents have a water container on their verandah for the birds and are usually inundated with rainbow lorikeets etc. It's pretty cool to see them splashing around bathing and drinking and fighting but they are noisy buggers!
    “The only position that leaves me with no cognitive dissonance is atheism. It is not a creed. Death is certain, replacing both the siren-song of Paradise and the dread of Hell. Life on this earth, with all its mystery and beauty and pain, is then to be lived far more intensely: we stumble and get up, we are sad, confident, insecure, feel loneliness and joy and love. There is nothing more; but I want nothing more.” -Christopher Hitchens

I'm glad everyone has enjoyed my little video

That's an awesome pic of the owl, Mr B!
    I've never been very good at knowing "my place". Well actually I have, it's just never been where you want it to be.

Loki is offline You get what everyone gets....you get a lifetime Moderator

We have a pair who visit us. They don't like to break camoflage and fly, but when they do they are completely silent, no flapping sound or anything. A truly magnificent thing to see, like a patch of the darkness suddenly zooming away.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."Philip K. Dick

13. Like button gray-owl liked this post