Thread: Found On Web: Thought-Provoking

Mt Backabuggari Pepper Research Institute

Default Found On Web: Thought-Provoking

This, sourced somewhere in Australia.
    2GJltbU.jpg

Then I discovered, that "au" in this case is not Oz, but "alternate universe".

Some clever people were pointing out that dystopia, for some, is a home address.
    Last edited by The Irreverent Mr Black; 28th December 2019 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Wow!

A call to action
    From your chair
    Is empty while
    You're sitting there.
    - Bummer Shave

2. Thank button Strato, wadaye thanked this post

Default Re: Found On Web: Thought-Provoking

A work colleague was claiming to me that her son's love of cars and trains and her daughter's love of ballet were "innate", and that it had happened despite her policy of not imposing traditional gender roles on them. I tried arguing firstly that inherited behaviour takes much longer to develop, and there's no gene for trains and cars, and also that the ways in which the acquired behaviour of gender stereotyping are conveyed and learned could be much wider and deeper than she thought, but I couldn't quite get it across.

4. Thank button The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post
    Agree button wadaye, 142857 agreed with this post

Default Re: Found On Web: Thought-Provoking

I have always said that: "Scratch at a "religious person" hard enough, and underneath you will find a creationist". People's confidence in science has been undermined, and their ignorance of what it is, is profound. Even though people are not 'religious" in the classic sense, they still fall for the disinformation campaigns. I suppose they see the tool of science being abused, as in weapons technology etc.
    Darwin knew very well of the philosophical implications of his theory. It undermined belief in god, god became [at best] the "fifth wheel" of creations, and it rubbed people's noses in the truth that we are nothing special-just apes in shoes, born incontinent and dying incontinent.
    Having spent millennias indulging in the fairy tales of religion, people look for stability and "truth". Yet quantum mechanics demonstrates that there is no certainty, no ultimate truth to be had, or at least recognisable even if we tripped over it. Hence the fictitious hard and boundaries of binary sex.
    The urge to make the universe how we want it to be, rather than accepting what it is. It is a sort of religious concept in a away, and certainly all religions exploit it. If a pattern displeases us, we reject it.
    Just stick to the idea that science tests falsifiable hypotheses to destruction.

6. Thank button stylofone, The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post