Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Bushfire Eco catastrophe

Default Re: Bushfire Eco catastrophe

Quote Strato said View Post
    A: You’re banned from this pub, my man.
    Let me reform my gag.

Q.What does the barkeep say when Scott Morrieson walks into the bar.

A.Fuck off.
    What’s the use of a fine house if you haven’t a tolerable planet to put it on - Henry David Thoreau

2. Like button stylofone, Strato, wildeaboutoscar liked this post
    Laugh button 142857 laughed at this post
    Mt Backabuggari Pepper Research Institute

Quote pipbarber said View Post
    A: You’re banned from this pub, my man.
    Let me reform my gag.

Q.What does the barkeep say when Scott Morrieson walks into the bar.

A.Fuck off.
    A: Fuck off, you're banned.
    (To others in bar) How good is that?

A call to action
    From your chair
    Is empty while
    You're sitting there.
    - Bummer Shave

4. Like button pipbarber, Strato, wildeaboutoscar liked this post
    Laugh button pipbarber laughed at this post

A. So ya wanna have a bit of a go?
    'The biggest threat to security, to life in all its forms, is the system that drives the climate disaster.'
    In Climate Leviathan: A Political Theory of Our Planetary Future, 2018.

Navy supply ships could be brought in – Andrews

I know we've always had bushfires Scummo, but when exactly was the last tine the military had to rescue thousands of people from the beach?

Incredible what is unfolding. Lives lost and property. But spare a thought for our wildlife. I can't stop thinking about how many species of birds are going to be pushed onto endangered lists from these fires and how many already endangered birds are going to be reduced to critical numbers. And the spiders and the insects, possums...etc...our wildlife is dead in their millions!
    What’s the use of a fine house if you haven’t a tolerable planet to put it on - Henry David Thoreau

7. Thank button Strato thanked this post
    Cry button Strato cried at this post

It's surreal looking at this catastrophe. Malacoota in Victoria will be devastated. Likewise Cobargo in NSW. People are missing. It looks bad. That's just the worst that we know about now. There's a massive area on fire. My newly acquired block of land where I plan to live as soon as I can build a house - fire has gone through the whole suburb near Batemans Bay. It won't affect me, but I hope they saved the houses that are already there.

And today is just one day.

Trying to keep up with it, I followed links from the live coverage on ABC and the Guardian, to social media posts. There are still climate denialists active, claiming it's lack of backburning, not the climate catastrophe that's the cause. They are sounding desperate. I think these liars and lunatics need to be held accountable for their atrocious misinformation.

9. Agree button Strato agreed with this post

Reading about power cuts, I'm now topping up the charge of my deep cycle battery which is really meant for camping but can also provide quite a lot of recharging for phones and computers for communications, and also LED lighting. I've filled every bucket with water (that wasn't already filled with grey water). There are no fires near here, but I feel nervous. They've moved so quickly.

11. Like button two dogs, Darwinsbulldog, pipbarber liked this post
    Thank button Strato thanked this post
    Wow button Strato wowed by this post

How much more carbon dioxide, 1 carbon atom binding up 2 oxygen atoms, will be fed into the atmosphere when all the burning is done?

Runaway climate change. When it comes to forests, from the Amazon to the Siberian and Alaskan conifer, especially Australia's and California's eucalypt and our Queensland rainforests, the increasing propensity to burn is like an impetus. Fire is now a Behemoth. This is the Pyrocene Epoch. The Arctic and Siberian permafrost is giving up its vast abundance of combustible methane, a worse global heating gas than CO2. Forests temper the climate. They create conditions conducive to themselves. They are not disposable if we hope to survive, generationally, as a species. Why do we procreate if not to aspire to pass our life, our humanity on? Life has its own right to self replicate and proliferate.
    Antarctica is rapidly losing ice at an accelerating rate. Scientists are urgently trying to measure and assess that on the glaciers which themselves hold back the vast ice sheet. Will the powers that be ever listen to the predictions? Why do they even check weather forecasts if they're going out on the yacht?

What's to stop the whole Alpine National Park, lives, homes, all that wildlife, ecology, species from being lost this summer?

I didn't want to at the end of last summer but I did say here, how can the Alpine National Park not get destroyed this summer? I went to Mallacoota twice with my son, hired a boat, motored all around, saw how beautiful it was. We trekked up Genoa lookout which tests your fitness, looked out over Croajingalong, Mallacoota and the mountain skyline way inland, forest everywhere. Indigenous names are so beautiful, they convey the psyche, the personality of that people.

Driving back along the Princes highway mile after mile the cicadas were deafening.

What will come out of this is serious advocacy for nuclear power. I'm not urging we should go that way. We should be manufacturing renewables, green technology as on a war footing, as was done during WW11.

Take it as seriously as Greta.
    'The biggest threat to security, to life in all its forms, is the system that drives the climate disaster.'

13. Like button stylofone, Darwinsbulldog liked this post

What will come out of this is serious advocacy for nuclear power. I'm not urging we should go that way. We should be manufacturing renewables, green technology as on a war footing, as was done during WW11.
    Nuclear power is expensive and hard to do and we haven't even made a start yet. Also the safety issue and the bad reputation it's earned make it politically pretty hard. Climate denialists have been big nuclear proponents. The same corporate bastardy that led us to climate crisis would also lead us to cost-cutting and bad safety and irresponsible waste-disposal practices. I don't trust nuclear, I don't trust our governments to do it properly. I'm anti-nuclear.

Renewables, though, are already taking off, saving money, and pushing down prices despite the best efforts of government lunacy.

15. Thank button Strato thanked this post

Fusion reactors are OK, but they are not quite there yet. I agree stylofone, governments can be trusted with fission reactors, especially the types of governments we see today, especially our own and the USA.
    I think fission reactors can be made safe, so long as no corners are cut, full safeguards etc. And we are ideally placed in having remote areas of negligible geological activity to store waste. But I would make a huge caveat on the use of nuke power. [Well, lot of them really]. The power generated should replace fossil fuel use, and also be used to manufacture renewable energy resources. The huge atmospheric carbon footprint [and hence global warming] has to be drastically curtailed. Global warming may be less "spectacular" than nuclear accidents or nuclear wars, but in the end, just as deadly.
    But practically, in terms of politics, nuclear power is not an option for Australia, and many other unstable, fascist wannabe countries.
    Last edited by Darwinsbulldog; 31st December 2019 at 08:13 PM.
    Just stick to the idea that science tests falsifiable hypotheses to destruction.

17. Thank button stylofone, Strato thanked this post
    Agree button Strato agreed with this post

Quote Darwinsbulldog said View Post
    Fusion reactors are OK, but they are not quite there yet. I agree stylofone, governments can't be trusted with fission reactors, especially the types of governments we see today, especially our own and the USA.
    I think fission reactors can be made safe, so long as no corners are cut, full safeguards etc. And we are ideally placed in having remote areas of negligible geological activity to store waste. But I would make a huge caveat on the use of nuke power. [Well, lot of them really]. The power generated should replace fossil fuel use, and also be used to manufacture renewable energy resources. The huge atmospheric carbon footprint [and hence global warming] has to be drastically curtailed. Global warming may be less "spectacular" than nuclear accidents or nuclear wars, but in the end, just as deadly.
    But practically, in terms of politics, nuclear power is not an option for Australia, and many other unstable, fascist wannabe countries.
    Fixed that for you Darwinsbulldog.

19. Thank button Darwinsbulldog thanked this post