Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Bushfire Eco catastrophe

Mt Backabuggari Pepper Research Institute

Default Re: Bushfire Eco catastrophe

Article shows how First People managed the environment with burning.

I'm not making any claim for its appropriateness in a Pyrocene climate.

Click on the image below to view the article:
    ATLASOBSCURA.COM
    How Aboriginal Hunting and 'Cool Burns' Prevent Australian Wildfires
    The current crisis has pushed the country to consider cultural burning.

A call to action
    From your chair
    Is empty while
    You're sitting there.
    - Bummer Shave

Of course the previous discussion about desertification changes everything.

A major contributor to climate is evapotranspiration. If on a continental scale one were to experiment by say, removing 90% of the forest/bushland cover, and replacing it with grassland or crops, which turns to gibber plain in the drought times, then the total available moisture is fundamentally reduced. It takes time to work itself into the system but it has to be a continental impact.

Its a zero sum game.

To reduce the impact the percentages have to change.

That means fundamental reworking of the way that society is organised.

The problem is vaguely recognised at the international level scientific level, but not at lower levels than that. No solutions have been offered.
    Fundamentally however the sacrifice of the land, the water, the sky/atmosphere, to profit as a motive, is nothing short of warfare and don't give a fuck social darwinism (can somebody invent a better word for that which doesn't defame Darwin?)
    "I'm an ape, I'm an African ape and I'm proud of it, and you should be too". Richard Dawkins

3. Like button Darwinsbulldog, The Phantom liked this post

A call to action
    From your chair
    Is empty while
    You're sitting there.
    - Bummer Shave

5. Thank button Strato, Darwinsbulldog thanked this post
    Cry button Strato, wadaye, pipbarber cried at this post

Bloody climate refugees!

It's started. Perhaps we can learn to treat our own well, and carry that on when the "others" turn up.

Same lifeboat, and all.

NZHERALD.CO.NZ
    How Australian bushfire evacuee camps became a new First World problem
    Residents fled fires with caravans and trailers packed with pets, livestock and keepsakes.

A call to action
    From your chair
    Is empty while
    You're sitting there.
    - Bummer Shave

Check out the maps in this [free] paper Mr Black. Climate refugees from sea level rise alone is going to affect the toffs more than they realise:-

Hauer, M. E., et al. (2020). "Sea-level rise and human migration." Nature Reviews Earth & Environment 1(1): 28-39.

Anthropogenic sea-level rise (SLR) is predicted to impact, and, in many cases, displace, a large proportion of the population via inundation and heightened SLR-related hazards. With the global coastal population projected to surpass one billion people this century, SLR might be among the most costly and permanent future consequences of climate change. In this Review, we synthesize the rapidly expanding knowledge of human mobility and migration responses to SLR, providing a coherent roadmap for future SLR research and associated policy. While it is often assumed that direct inundation forces a migration, we discuss how mobility responses are instead driven by a diversity of socioeconomic and demographic factors, which, in some cases, do not result in a migration response
    <snip>

https://doi.org/10.1038/s43017-019-0002-9
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Just stick to the idea that science tests falsifiable hypotheses to destruction.

8. Like button The Irreverent Mr Black liked this post
    Thank button The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post
    Agree button The Irreverent Mr Black agreed with this post

@Pup: Aye, and I know which beachside properties will get the attention and compensation under current custom and rule.

Clue: Not in Tuvalu or the Marshalls.

A call to action
    From your chair
    Is empty while
    You're sitting there.
    - Bummer Shave

Wot I meant to say is that the selfish callous toffs will be climate refugees like everybody else. Of course, lots of other problems too, like food production collapse, contaminated water supplies [fracking and other pollution], pathogenic diseases in novel areas, respiratory ailments from particulates, etc, etc, etc.....
    Just stick to the idea that science tests falsifiable hypotheses to destruction.

Yes, and no, I think Mr. B.
    Yes, initially insurance companies and even governments might underwrite losses, but sooner or later, it will drive down property prices in effected areas, so a two million dollar condo might sell for $50,000 or less later on. Secondly, any compensation scheme on this scale, conducted by insurance companies are going to cause massive rises in insurance premiums and taxes to compensate. Or governments and insurance companies will have to opt out of compensation for these sorts of events altogether. Which means massive social and political instability. The poor will have to eat the rich, or die trying, since it will be death for them not to try.

12. Like button The Irreverent Mr Black liked this post
    Agree button The Irreverent Mr Black, The Phantom, wadaye agreed with this post

Quote The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
    Bloody climate refugees!

It's started. Perhaps we can learn to treat our own well, and carry that on when the "others" turn up.

Same lifeboat, and all.

NZHERALD.CO.NZ
    How Australian bushfire evacuee camps became a new First World problem
    Residents fled fires with caravans and trailers packed with pets, livestock and keepsakes.
    Lifeboat behaviour is a mix of good and bad. Who gets on the lifeboats? Aka Titanic its the rich and wealthy first who are best placed to access them.
    First in best dressed, hence fighting off those who would seek to clamber aboard the lifeboat once in the water.
    then the best and worst of human behaviours in lifeboats lost at sea.
    "I'm an ape, I'm an African ape and I'm proud of it, and you should be too". Richard Dawkins

14. Agree button The Phantom agreed with this post

"Lifeboat ethics" is almost always a con. That is, it applies in far fewer situations than its fan boy's imagine. There was absolutely no excuse whatsoever for the Titanic or any similar vessel to have insufficient life boats and safety equipment. There was plenty of room for them, their cost would have meant a sacrifice of a few crystal chandeliers, or similar that would not have been noticed. No, it was mass murder. Steerage-class people were deemed less than human, and they even locked the gates to prevent the steerage class folks from getting to the lifeboats.
    In fact I am hard-pressed to find an example of where lifeboat ethics would be valid.

16. Like button wadaye liked this post