Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bushfire Eco catastrophe

Default Bushfire Eco catastrophe

Sorry for starting a new thread on this and mods feel free to move to Climate change or "we're possibly fucked" threads if appropriate.

The recent bushfires show the way that thoughtless human interventions result in mass extinction events. Chop up nature. Reduce existing habitat (as previously preserved by indigenous peoples) from 100% down to 1-10%, all chopped up into little islands of habitat and criss crossed by roads and fences. Then when it all burns, it burns at once. Long story short is that the flora and fauna survivors in those little remaining habitats are exterminated.

We ask ourselves silly questions like where did the animals go, and when will they come back, and finally we realise that they are actually or practically, extinct, far too late in the day, of course, and that is if we have even bothered to identify the species in the first place.

Of course, as David Littleproud, the Minister for Drought, said, "you can't plan for droughts". Apply that logic across the board and we have a Government that also can't plan for fires, climate change, etc.

So, "with the best of intentions", sorry, we didn't think of that.
    "I'm an ape, I'm an African ape and I'm proud of it, and you should be too". Richard Dawkins

2. Like button pipbarber liked this post
    Agree button Darwinsbulldog agreed with this post

Default Re: Bushfire Eco catastrophe

Hung out with a friend who flew in from Sydney last night. Amazing to watch him just standing and deliberately breathing, serenely, eyes shut. The sort of look some people used to get while smoking something freshly grown and illegal (as depicted in movies obviously). Talked about relocating his whole family to Melbourne. Problem is of course, our turn will come. Victoria is a tinder box, i know because i've been all over it this year. It wasnt a bad year for rain and most of the state had a greenish tinge to it 3 months ago, but what has struck me over the last few weeks is how suddenly everything has turned crisp and brown. I fear the summer. We all should now.

Anyway, there are immediate concerns post the Sydney fires, they will stop burning eventually. Dust storms could be a problem for the city, ash clouds. If a very heavy rain falls you'll have issues with soil erosion and top soil loss. How is the wildlife and insect loss (beside that being a tragedy in itself) impact food production? How do authorities maintain water quality when every damn in the state has a layer of ash on it?

Surely there are going to be long term health issues brought about by breathing that air for a month. Mental health problems too.

'Catastrophe' is the right word.

Anyway....do your bit for the aussie economy and spend up big the christmas! (a message brought to you by Australian politicians everywhere).
    What’s the use of a fine house if you haven’t a tolerable planet to put it on - Henry David Thoreau

4. Agree button The Irreverent Mr Black, wadaye, Strato agreed with this post
    Mt Backabuggari Pepper Research Institute

@Pip: TEVW lived through the Canberra fires, and homes were burned a street away from where she was.

PTSD over fire info, etc, is very obvious, and I need to be extra reassuring when the air is smoky.

The means of production are George Martin's - BeatleMarxism

6. Thank button pipbarber, wadaye, Strato thanked this post

First Dog on the Moon. Such satire delivers the seriousness and sadness of things, centuries in the making, really since humans first learned to make fire.

wiki:
    Claims for the earliest definitive evidence of control of fire by a member of Homo range from 1.7 to 0.2 million years ago (Mya).

Click on the image below to view the article:
    THEGUARDIAN.COM
    Living through endless weeks of dirty air – it does your head in and your lungs | First Dog on the Moon
    I wake up at night thinking the house is on fire, and I struggle to breathe. This is how it is now
    'The biggest threat to security, to life in all its forms, is the system that drives the climate disaster.'
    In Climate Leviathan: A Political Theory of Our Planetary Future, 2018.

8. Thank button wadaye, knowledge is power thanked this post
    Mt Backabuggari Pepper Research Institute

The means of production are George Martin's - BeatleMarxism

10. Like button knowledge is power liked this post
    Thank button wadaye thanked this post

I worked in the bush up there in Wollombi for two summers ending last year. No contract this year. It was the best bush regen site, remote, quiet, beautiful creeks and countryside and lots of wombats. I'm afraid of what I would see if I ventured up there again. All our work was probably for nothing now.
    “It's not my responsibility to be beautiful. I'm not alive for that purpose. My existence is not about how desirable you find me.” Warsan shire

"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence" Charles Bukowski

"I'm an ape, I'm an African ape and I'm proud of it, and you should be too". Richard Dawkins

13. Thank button The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post

Stay safe, you Sydney people.

Click on the image below to view the article:
    THEGUARDIAN.COM
    Properties lost in Blue Mountains as blazes hit WA and Queensland - as it happened
    Up to 20 buildings lost in Blue Mountains as megafire burns outside Sydney, while fires also threaten communities in Western Australia and Queensland

These fires seem to be inching toward the metro area. Think LA and the threat of urban wild fire. If it's at all possible it might be wise to stay at home when the 40C days arrive. Wet your roof.
    What’s the use of a fine house if you haven’t a tolerable planet to put it on - Henry David Thoreau

15. Agree button The Irreverent Mr Black agreed with this post

Yesterday was not too hot and not all that windy. The Deputy Fire Commissioner said the flare-up of the Blue Mountains fire was the result of drought leaving so much fuel. They attempted a backburn but it got away from them too, making it worse. This is not to criticise them, backburning is one of those strategies that carries risk. I'm pretty sure the firies in the Blue Mountains know the conditions and their job better than anyone. Bushfires are completely front of mind in that area for everyone. It's one of the most beautiful places... when it's not on fire.

I tried to go camping on the Wollondilly River yesterday but got turned back because they're worried the OTHER fire, south west of Sydney is also on the move, so only residents are allowed in. It's surreal.

The 40 degree day coming up this week is going to be a nightmare. Unless there is a big rain event, this is how it will be for the whole summer. Geographically, though, the fires would have to come down the Blue mountains and cross the Nepean River, then there's cleared flat plains before you get to the outer Sydney suburbs. It's the thing everyone thinks about, the Great Fire of Sydney, but I don't think it's on the cards yet. However there are countless other ways this can be an even worse catastrophe than it already is.

And yes, I saw on the news last night that Victoria is also fearing, and readying for its turn.

17. Thank button The Irreverent Mr Black, pipbarber thanked this post

I have a tiny window of opportunity to get out camping this week. Tuesday and Wednesday night, so i'll have Wednesday in the bush. Camping near the coast in Victoria is pretty crap and anyway i want some bush and trees, not beach right now. It's going to be 42C on Wednesday. The only spots with water are deep in the mountain forest with a single road, so i'm not going there. I'll go back to my old favourite Terrick Terrick. Lots of exits from the forest if necessary but no swimming spots.

Parts of northern Victoria are facing 3 or 4 40C+ days this week. Our turn is coming but i refuse to be a prisoner of this city.