Thread: Helping or Hurting?: Understanding Women’s Perceptions of Male Allies

workmx is offline Feminazi and semi-professional inconoclast

Default Helping or Hurting?: Understanding Women’s Perceptions of Male Allies

Helping or Hurting?: Understanding Women’s Perceptions of Male Allies

In the past decade, organizational scholars have begun to explore the role of allies inmitigating workplace discrimination toward women and members of minority groups.However, this nascent literature has, to this point, failed to consider the perspective oftargets of ally behavior. That is, we do not yet know how targets of discrimination experienceothers’ intervention or advocacy. To begin to understand these issues, we examine targetperceptions of allyship through a qualitative critical incident approach, asking womento describe experiences in which a man has effectively and ineffectively acted as an allyto them in the workplace. Our findings from surveying 100 women provide new insightsregarding who engages in ally behaviors, what behaviors these allies enact, when and wherethe behaviors take place, and why participants believed their male ally engaged in thisbehavior

Citation: Cheng, S. K., Ng, L. C., Traylor, A. M., & King, E. B. (2019). Helping or Hurting?: Understanding Women’s Perceptions of Male Allies. Personnel Assessment and Decisions, 5(2), 6.

HTML: https://scholarworks.bgsu.edu/pad/vol5/iss2/6/

PDF: https://scholarworks.bgsu.edu/cgi/vi...71&context=pad
    Forgive me, I'm a sociologist and high horse slut! May contains traces of nuts.

2. Like button Beatrice, Darwinsbulldog liked this post
    workmx is offline Feminazi and semi-professional inconoclast

Default Re: Helping or Hurting?: Understanding Women’s Perceptions of Male Allies

This was a insightful read, as a man.
    Forgive me, I'm a sociologist and high horse slut! May contains traces of nuts.

4. Thank button The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post
    Agree button The Irreverent Mr Black, Darwinsbulldog agreed with this post