Thread: People who want to make bricks can just piss off! Ha ha

Default People who want to make bricks can just piss off! Ha ha

Researchers have found a way to grow bricks sustainably from human urine.
    Key points:

• The bio-bricks' strength can be scaled up and down depending on how long the bacteria is allowed to grow
    • The bulk of bricks made worldwide produce copious amounts of carbon-dioxide
    • The process of[QUOTE] making bio-bricks produces zero waste

The "bio-brick" is made by mixing sand with a bacteria that produces urase β€” an enzyme that breaks down the urea in urine while at the same time producing calcium carbonate.
    When mixed, the result is a brick that is on-par with limestone bricks. But what's different is that the bio-bricks' strength can be scaled up and down depending on how long the bacteria is allowed to grow.
    "The longer you allow the little bacteria to make the cement, the stronger the product is going to be. We can optimise that process," lead research supervisor Dyllon Randall said in an explainer released by the University of Cape Town
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-...urine/10432766

This suggests other spin-offs as well. Because female-friendly urinals are not common, only male urine was used. So this also suggests unisex loos will have a positive social impact as well. There are also several environmental positives.

ETA: Google takes one to strange places, I was actually researching about human urine cells:-

Xu, G., et al. (2019). "Direct Conversion of Human Urine Cells to Neurons by Small Molecules." Scientific Reports 9(1): 16707.
    Last edited by Darwinsbulldog; 14th November 2019 at 12:33 PM.
    Just stick to the idea that science tests falsifiable hypotheses to destruction.

Mt Backabuggari Pepper Research Institute

Default Re: People who want to make bricks can just piss off! Ha ha

So the person who first said "shit a brick" was a little wide of the mark?

A call to action
    From your chair
    Is empty while
    You're sitting there.
    - Bummer Shave

3. Like button knowledge is power liked this post
    Laugh button Darwinsbulldog, two dogs, Strato laughed at this post

No, weeing on the side of your house won't make it stronger..
    β€œIt's not my responsibility to be beautiful. I'm not alive for that purpose. My existence is not about how desirable you find me.” Warsan shire

"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence" Charles Bukowski

5. Thank button two dogs thanked this post

Donald Trump must be as strong as Hercules by now! :-) The most [verified] POTUS-as-urinal in history!
    Just stick to the idea that science tests falsifiable hypotheses to destruction.

7. Like button knowledge is power, Strato liked this post