Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Jordan Peterson and Matt Dillahunty

Default Re: Jordan Peterson and Matt Dillahunty

He sure knows a hell of a lot about lobsters!

He's basically proved that lobsters demonstrate what is proper in homo sapien gender relations so...yes, he's got that evolutionary biology stuff totally sorted dude and also, you probably haven't heard, but Crime and Punishment is actually a really good novel!
    What’s the use of a fine house if you haven’t a tolerable planet to put it on - Henry David Thoreau

2. Like button Darwinsbulldog liked this post
    Agree button Strato agreed with this post
    Laugh button Darwinsbulldog, DanDare, wadaye laughed at this post

I love and agree with what you are saying there. Trump is unbearable. Morrison is unbearable.
    The thing is though that Abbott was unbearable. Turnbull too, though relatively not as bad as Abbott and Morrison. Albanese comes across as paper thin and except insofar as opposing liberal policies, unbearable. Rudd became utterly unbearable. to an extent Gillard too. and again Howard was also, unbearable. and so it goes. Shorten made himself sound dumb even though he is actually very smart, and he paid a price for it.

Quote Darwinsbulldog said View Post
    I can't think whose voice I find more irritating Trump's or JP. If I happen to react to a person's voice, I try real hard not to pay any heed. But with people like JP or Trump, I just can't do it. I automatically turn the sound off now when Trump speaks. I usually grit my teeth and listen to JP so that I can discuss his latest fallacies. There is always the hope that with all that expensive education, JP might come out and say something reasonably sane.
    "I'm an ape, I'm an African ape and I'm proud of it, and you should be too". Richard Dawkins

Yeah, come to think of it, there are a lot of muppets with influence or power that I just can't stand! :-)
    Just stick to the idea that science tests falsifiable hypotheses to destruction.

5. Agree button wadaye agreed with this post

Is he really in it for the money or would he be a heresiarch for nix? We'll never know.

Even Trumpy makes no money from emoluments, though he could, so easily, and I saw him declare in his 2016 election campaign that if he was elected, he wouldn't take any salary. He said he doesn't care about money. He's that authentic about doing good and serving America, he'd do it for zero payment. So I just believe he honours his fantastic great pledge.

By contrast, I don't think Peterson is altruistic like that. He could well be into money and glory, thinking he's the wisest guru who ever walked the Earth, bigger than Jesus. He's not purely dedicated to enlightening and helping uneducated young men to man up, live on half-cooked meat and stop masturbating.
    'The biggest threat to security, to life in all its forms, is the system that drives the climate disaster.'
    In Climate Leviathan: A Political Theory of Our Planetary Future, 2018.

7. Laugh button The Irreverent Mr Black, wadaye laughed at this post

And, he says, never ever lie. Not even to the SS about the Jews hiding in the closet upstairs. That would be wrong.
    "I'm an ape, I'm an African ape and I'm proud of it, and you should be too". Richard Dawkins

9. Like button two dogs liked this post

If you try to confront him on his positions and obtuse deepities he uses sophistry to avoid the corner and will avidly argue that's not what he necessarily meant. He denies it. He always uses the frenetic gish-gallop tactic. He lies instead of nailing his colours to the mast.

Hypocrite. Rich though.
    'The biggest threat to security, to life in all its forms, is the system that drives the climate disaster.'

Paraphrased from memory, Harris and Peterson debate in Vancouver 2018 Link.

Sam Harris: 'Do you believe in the literal resurrection of christ?'

Peterson: 'It would take me 40 hours to answer that.'

This is a closed question. Yes or no (or i don't know). You could place it on a spectrum, which is reasonable, like 80% yes, i tend to believe but who knows...I would answer with a 99.9% no, .1% awaiting evidence. It's really not that difficult a question.

Peterson's meaningless riddle speak has made him tens of millions of dollars and i think he consciously avoids the clear and concise answer to anything that may rock the apple cart, or in this case, the gravy train. It must be torturous being him. No wonder he developed a benzo addiction. Add to that his ridiculous diet and I doubt he'll be troubled with longevity.
    What’s the use of a fine house if you haven’t a tolerable planet to put it on - Henry David Thoreau

12. Thank button Strato, wadaye thanked this post
    Agree button Strato, 142857, DanDare agreed with this post

A Peterson debate popped up on my YouTube feed today.

The only thing missing was.... Jordan Peterson.

Some students at a university, I forget which one, heard Peterson claim that Marxists refuse to debate him about Marxism. So they decided to test his claim. Richard Wolff, a very well-informed Marxist economics professor, agreed to participate if they bought him a plane ticket.

Peterson demanded 50 to 75 thousand USD. Plus expenses.

No wonder Marxists won't debate him.

They had the debate without him. More a lecture from Wolff with a few mentions of how little Peterson understands.

14. Thank button Strato, pipbarber, DanDare thanked this post

He debated Zizek. It was hilarious. The only thing he's actually read is the communist manifesto! He knows...drum roll...nothing.

16. Thank button Strato, DanDare thanked this post

He's been Bernt before.

Why can't the university of Toronto sack Peterson for heresy and misleading young people? He surely wouldn't survive in Harvard or UCLA or Oxford.

But then if were sacked he would cry martyr, and that that was the charge Socrates was convicted of by vote of the mob in the Agora. Socrates chose to drink the hemlock rather than to be exiled from his beloved Athens. He died encouraging his weeping followers, gently rebuking them for their tears, as the authentic philosopher doesn't fear or dread death.

Peterson wouldn't likewise elect to die for the integrity of his "philosophy" or whatever it is.

18. Agree button pipbarber, DanDare agreed with this post