Page 144 of 144 FirstFirst ... 4494134140141142143144
Results 1,431 to 1,436 of 1436

Thread: School Chaplaincy

Mt Backabuggari Pepper Research Institute

Default Re: School Chaplaincy

Scorpions gotta sting, chaplains gotta proselytise - SMH

The scheme is opposed by secular groups and the education union who say taxpayers should not be funding religious officers in secular schools. As a way of appeasing these groups, the rules state that chaplains must not advocate religious teachings or try to convert students.

But Generate Ministries, the largest provider of school chaplains in NSW, has begun offering a "faith building" course to students and told them their chaplain is one way of accessing the program.

The subject, called Veta Morphus, is a certificate III course for HSC students developed by the Victorian-based Veta Youth which says the studies enable students to "really invest in your spiritual growth and to explore your faith with adult mentors" and "grow in your Christian life".

"It's a space ... to discover who you are in Christ, and to test your faith in real life," Veta Youth says.

In a now-amended statement on its website Generate Ministries said: "The key to the program is the local ministry supervisor and the peer group supervisor ... this is often the local minister, Chaplain."

When contacted about the possible breach, Generate Ministries said it only intended for chaplains funded under a separate NSW wellbeing program to offer the course. However that program also forbids chaplains from prosleytising.

General manager James Flavin said Generate Ministries had 194 chaplains operating in schools under the national program and a further 43 who are partially funded through the NSW wellbeing program.

"My intent was that this would be done through the student wellbeing support program chaplains, not the national school chaplains," he said. He said he was unsure when asked if NSW funded chaplains were also forbidden from prosleytising and later told Fairfax Media that all chaplains are aware of the rules.
    Full story at source, including semi-promise from Labor to include secular counsellors.
    Last edited by The Irreverent Mr Black; 25th September 2018 at 09:02 AM.

A call to action
    From your chair
    Is empty while
    You're sitting there.
    - Bummer Shave

2. Thank button DanDare thanked this post

Default School Chaplaincy

Chaplains to be banned in ACT public schools, those left forced to teach non-religious roles

The ACT's Education Minister, Yvette Berry, said on Friday there would be "no more chaplains in ACT government schools" after a decision to end the National School Chaplaincy Program in public schools after 2019.

More here:

Click on the image below to view the article:
    ABC.NET.AU
    Chaplains to be banned from Canberra public schools
    Canberra's chaplain community slams what it says is the ludicrous decision to ban all chaplains from ACT public schools.
    The meaning of your life, is what you choose to make it.

Mt Backabuggari Pepper Research Institute

A call to action
    From your chair
    Is empty while
    You're sitting there.
    - Bummer Shave

5. Like button two dogs, DanDare liked this post
    Thank button two dogs, DanDare, Darwinsbulldog thanked this post

The following is a copy of the complaint that I have lodged with the ABC regarding a news report on the ABC news report on the ACT no longer supporting chaplains in schools.

"As has been the norm with the ABC you have one again given farouble biased interview opinions regarding religious privilege accessing children when they are vulnerable. The interview promoted that the chaplaincy program was a good thing when infact the promotion of any religion in what should be a secular environment is nothing short of child abuse. And don't try to claim that these chaplins do not proselytize to the kids, it has been shown that some if not all do."

Religious proselytising should be brought into line with with the concept of statutory rape, and age of consent. The concept behind statutory rape is that is that the child is deemed unfit to give informed consent, and therefore even if willingly engaged in sex, it is an automatic case of rape.
    But of course, religions would violently oppose such a scheme, because they know that the easiest converts are the youngest. The Jesuit saying: "Give me the boy, and I will give you the man" is an open acknowledgement of this predatory, controlling, and brain-washing technique.
    What gob-smacks me, is this was NOT an outcome of the vile tragedies of so many child sexual abuse cases, because fucking with children's minds is surely on a par with abuse of their bodies? But apparently not.
    Just stick to the idea that science tests falsifiable hypotheses to destruction.

8. Like button DanDare, Hambone liked this post

The following is the response I received today regarding my complaint, I have sggested they contact the NSL for input on matters regarding religion in the future. Obviously there was no point in suggesting the AFA>

Thank you for writing to the ABC outlining your concerns about the recent

> chaplaincy story.
    >
    > I have reviewed the story about school chaplains being removed from
    > Canberra's public schools. While the production of this story was hampered
    > by the ACT Education Minister denying our request for an interview, I do
    > agree that the report was not as balanced as it should have been. The story
    > should have provided more context as to why the Government decided to
    > replace chaplains. As I mentioned, our preference would have been for the
    > Minister to explain that herself. We were unable to find anyone else to
    > provide that perspective at short notice, so the reporter should have
    > provided that background in the script.
    >
    > I apologise that this story did not reach the high standards the ABC expects
    > of its reporting.